One hundred years ago, a local surgeon and his wife saw the need to expand their three-bed Ridley Park hospital —opened only one year earlier. Horace Furness Taylor, M.D. and Katherine Manly Taylor, R.N., operated a successful hospital out of their Ridley Park home, but demand was continually stretching the modest hospital’s capacity to its limit.
So, on February 10, 1910, the Taylors opened their new 10-bed hospital in a home they had purchased the year before. On May 21 of that same year, a charter was granted to Taylor Hospital “for medical and surgical treatment of the sick and injured.” Some of the procedures performed at that time are still done today, including tonsillectomy, appendectomy, fracture repair and hernia repair.
Over the years, the Taylors continued to expand their hospital in size and services. One hundred years later, Taylor Hospital is still a pillar in its community with leaders who strive just like Dr. Taylor did to offer the most current therapies to its patients.